Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good (and Questionable) Company

Oprah hangs with some interesting people... Gary Zukav and Eckhart Tolle are two of her entourage that have truly changed my life. (Not to mention her buddy President Obama.) Oprah fame is an interesting dynamic though, isn't it? If you are on Oprah's in-list you are pretty much made no matter what you say or do. I like Dr. Oz but Dr. Phil's novelty wore off for me long, long ago (way before he even had his own show). I just read an article about Suze Orman and how hypocritical she is in her recommendations to the masses vs. what she actually does with her own money. I have never liked Suze Orman anyway. She seems so fake.

And then there is Nate. Such a cutie! How can you not just like him and want to pinch his cute little designer cheeks? Mark has the Oprah satellite channel in his car and I was listening to Nate's show the other day. He was interviewing some fashion maven and they were talking about accessorizing. He actually said that he thinks everyone should care about accessorizing their outfits because you are just not complete in life without adding some jewelry or a matching scarf I guess. Really? Doesn't that seem kind of anti-Oprah. I don't accessorize and I feel pretty content with my life. I am fairly sure the right purse won't change my life in any discernible way (except by reducing my bank account). I love Oprah as much as the next girl but I wonder if the sheer volume of time she has to fill is reducing the quality of her programming a bit. I can't help but think it is only going to get worse when she has a whole network to program. Whew, a whole Oprah network in addition to her magazine and radio station. I hope she expands her repertoire. How many financial and designer tips does the world really need?

No comments: