Thursday, April 16, 2009

Melancholy

Though I am really good at insulating myself from things that will upset me, I am apparently a glutton for punishment when it comes to reading about little Maddie's death. I have been left in tears no less than 3 times this week after reading Maddie's mommy and daddy's posts about what they are going through.

For some reason I feel honor bound to read what they have to say. It is almost like it would be unfair of me to take just the happy from them without being willing to dwell in the sad with them too. I have read so many comments, not only on their blog but on others, where parents say "I am going to hug my little one extra tight tonight." To me, that is such a callous response to what they are going through. But it is true though, isn't it? In such a horrible way, their loss is a gift to us because it reminds us to appreciate everything with our kids - even the screaming tantrums. The price that they have paid for that reminder is what won't let me put my wall back up yet. Hopefully soon though. Being emotional like this is for the birds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I too have found myself in tears reading their posts. I didn't even follow their blog I just read about it the other day with your post. I am so sad for them.

On a different note, I just saw the comment you left back in March!?! So sorry. Adam and I went to school with Nick Shoffners wife, Jenny. Too funny, what a small world!!