Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Recognition

I have so enjoyed working closely with our local IREM (Institute of Real Estate Management) office this year. Susan Heath, one of the very first property managers that I ever worked with, invited me to be the Chair of her Membership Committee for the year and we have had great fun working together. We have teamed with an amazing group of people and, for the first time, I realize that I really enjoy working in that type of collaborative volunteer environment.

I was excited to be asked to participate at a higher level this next year and was sworn in to the 2010 Executive Council as VP of Membership last week at the annual IREM Awards Luncheon. It was an exciting day in more ways than one...

Our Membership Committee was awarded the Service Committee of the Year Award and later in the program, I was awarded the Rising Star Award. It was truly thrilling but the most nerve-wracking part of the day was definitely when I got up with my committee Chair for 2010, Roxana Hammock, to present the 2010 Scholarships to the group. I can do public speaking to 40 - 50 people no problem - as the number creeps over 100 I get a little jittery. Definitely have to work on that...

One of the absolute best parts of the day was seeing a few of my committee members and good friends win other awards too. David Smith won Associate of the Year and Roxana won CPM of the Year. Yeah!

The feeling of a job well done is a great motivator but I think almost everyone likes to be recognized for their contribution. The awards are wonderful but I have gained so much more from this amazing group of people that I have gotten to know and work with this year. How exciting to see them acknowledged for their hard work as well! It was a lovely day.

No comments: