I read some article this week about how mommy blogging tends to glorify parenting because we always write about the good stuff and never the bad stuff. That is probably true to a certain extent but isn't that just how most of our brains work? I have to work much harder to remember the mundane details of a past experiences than I do the fun, happy details. I think the majority of us try to put a positive spin on our lives. I mean, why not? What is the downside?
I think I may have jinxed us when I talked about how fun Milo has been lately. Don't get me wrong... We still had fun this weekend but we definitely did have some frustrations mixed in as well. Mark and I have had the luxury of a 2-nap baby until just recently. Now that our little one is taking just one nap we always hope it will be a nice long nap. Saturday was a good nap day. Today was not. He went down late and woke up early which meant that we had about 6 straight hours after his nap to keep him entertained and occupied. He was a little grouchy anyway because he has been fighting a cold so it was a really long 6 hours for all of us. That said, there are so many images from the day that I want to remember - both good and not-so-good.
It was a long day - I won't lie. What I want to remember though is that my little boy is learning how to control his environment. He is learning how to have power over situations and is trying to figure out how he can can get what he wants while still being in that little body. The gears are starting to turn more quickly and he is showing us every day that he is no longer a baby. I want to remember these days because they are the first glimmers of his independence. It is not just "positive spin." For me, it is important as a reminder to have patience. This is a big world. Toddlers are entitled to their grouchy days too!
I am now going to soak in a long hot bath. With a big glass of wine.
No comments:
Post a Comment