Friday, October 3, 2008

Mental Health Day

I took off work for a mental health day today. It was so nice. I slept a little late but not late enough to waste the day. Went to get some Starbucks and then sat at the park to read for a little while. Ate Indian food for lunch. Came home, read some more and then spent some quality internet time leading up to right about now.

My goal was to not check my work email all day and I actually succeeded until about 5:05 - that way I did not feel like I had to respond. I am really trying to work on not checking my work email all night, every night and on the weekends. As one of my coworkers said the other day, "I don't know when we all started thinking we are so important that we have to receive our emails every 20 minutes" - even when we are not at work. I really love my job, but I am trying to reinstate some separation when I am not there. I am being aided a bit by my new iPhone which allows me to turn email receipt off. If the emails aren't there, I don't feel so compelled to read them.

Anyway, it was a lovely, quiet, selfish day. I did only what I wanted to do and I enjoyed every minute. Now I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my boys so I can hug and kiss on them both. Oh yeah, I hear them pulling into the garage!

No comments: