I have been reading "The New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle and have been listening to his and Oprah's study session podcasts about the book on my IPOD. The text is great and the study sessions have really helped me to understand Tolle's thoughts in relation to everyday application. As often happens, the book came to me just when I needed it. I really love that about the world.
I have a tendency to worry. I don't get too bogged down generally in past events and I am pretty happy-go-lucky in the day to day. But I worry. I especially worry now that Milo is around. I worry almost exclusively about stuff that I can't control and about things that will probably never ever happen. I had started to worry so much that I could feel it in my chest and I could feel my own life force being sucked from me. Needless to say, I realized that being in that state was not preferable but I couldn't seem to get myself out of the endless loop of thoughts in my head. Until I started reading "The New Earth."
The book is simple in what it teaches. The main idea is to be in the moment. Tolle writes that we should "make friends with the present moment." Not live in the past, not worry about the future but just enjoy the present moment with all of our attention and with all of our thought. He makes the point that by placing ourselves in the past or in the future through our thoughts we are taking strength away from the present moment. For example, I cannot ever give Milo my full attention or enjoy the joy of the moment if I am also worrying about something, worrying about anything that I have no control over. My thoughts put me in a different place, away from my present reality when they worry, worry, worry. That is not the kind of Mommy I want to be nor is it the example that I want to set for Milo.
So, these last few weeks I have been practicing "staying in the moment." I feel better - I really do. I am calmer on the inside and I have had more patience with myself. It is amazing how such a simple thing can have such a huge impact. There are so many other great ideas in the book about acceptance, gratitude, and transience. He even interprets the life and words of Jesus in a way that makes sense to me. So much to ponder - but today I am just going to stay in the moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment