I just watched an interesting segment on 60 minutes about Joel Osteen, "the most popular pastor in the country" who is from Houston. I have to admit, although I think I have heard of him, I really know nothing about him or his ministry other than what I just saw on the television. What I thought was so interesting is the apparent debate about his beliefs and teachings. Although he is incredibly popular, some more traditional religious organizations think that he is giving a false message ~ even to the point of heresy ~ because he does not focus his message on sin or on evil in the world. They take issue with his simple message of "God is good, you are good, be good."
I have some serious problems with the type of "organized religion" that I grew up with. The culture of guilt, the idea of an angry and jealous God and the teaching of separation from other types of people and religions top the list. I don't think these ideas and beliefs are conducive to a healthy world and it seems to me that, based on the popularity of Osteen's ministry, I am not the only person to feel that way. One of the things mentioned in the program is that he does not display any typical Christian iconography (Jesus on the cross, etc.) in the arena where he speaks. To me, this simply demonstrates that he is truly speaking to the masses and is inclusive of all faiths rather than separating himself or his denomination out. As our world progresses, I think it is this idea of inclusion (rather than separation) that will eventually bring peace.
As Milo gets older, Mark and I want to find a way that we can introduce him to God in a formal way without immersing him in those beliefs that we disagree so strongly with. I know that we will find the right place in time and when we do, I hope that the message Milo learns is "God is good, you are good, be good." It is this idea which, to me, seems the embodiment of what God would want us to know about the world and our place in it.
No comments:
Post a Comment