We had our check-up yesterday and Dr. Maxey said that the baby looks wonderful. I was going to be there for awhile since I was being tested for gestational diabetes so Mark and I were able to have an extended sonogram. As I already know, he confirmed that the baby is definitely a little wiggle worm. I chose the title of this post because the baby was insistent that we not get a picture of his profile. He kept his hands and arms up in front of his face the whole duration of the sonogram. Despite this, it is always reassuring to see him moving around and growing.
Dr. Maxey is going to watch the baby's abdomen as it appears that his belly is growing at a rate that is just a few days behind the rest of his body (I think it was only by about 4 days so it was not much). He said it is normal for baby's body parts to grow at slightly different rates but apparently irregular growth is something they have to watch closely with this clotting disorder that I have. He also explained why they will induce delivery a few weeks before a typical full term of 40 weeks. As the baby grows, the Heparin (blood thinner) will become less successful in thinning my blood and the blood clots will start to affect the placenta more and more. The placenta seems to be the buffer between the little blood clots and the baby. As the placenta takes more abuse, it becomes less able to protect the baby and function as it should. Also, the disorder can result in low amniotic fluid around the baby as he grows. This can also present a big problem. So... our goal is to get to 38 weeks but he was telling us yesterday about a couple that was going through what we are and they ended up having to induce at 36 weeks. He is just going to watch everything really closely and if it looks like problems are developing we will go from there. I will go in for another sonogram in three weeks and then I will switch to two week visits for about a month.
Please do keep us in your thoughts and prayers that everything will work out and our little one can stay inside for just as long as he needs to in order to be healthy and happy when he is born. I will keep you all updated as things progress...
No comments:
Post a Comment