Monday, May 24, 2010

Not So Advanced Society

Just in case I am tempted to bask in the glow of human superiority anytime in the near future, I will have to remind myself that, given an ENTIRE month, the greatest minds of our time have been unable to find a way to stop a leak. I realize that is oversimplifying the situation but it is a leak - a few actually - and they have had a MONTH! Yet the leak(s) remains and the oil continues to pour into the Gulf of Mexico at estimates of between 5,000 and 20,000 barrels a day.

I honestly can't bear to think too much about the millions of barrels of oil that have flooded the water, that are killing the animals and that are now seeping into the beaches, marshes and wetlands. I am not a fanatic environmentalist but this whole situation is so sad to me. I am not anti-oil, but I am certainly a fan of corporations preparing for the worst. How is it that no one, NO ONE, thought of what they would do if this happened? It is unfathomable to me. The worst thing is that BP's lack of planning and continued inability to stop a leak is having dire consequences on the innocent - not only marine life and the environment but the people that live and work around the coast. Since we have so spectacularly failed in the first phase of this crisis I suppose the test now will be in the clean-up effort, but how much damage has already been done?

1 comment:

Terri said...

Jess, I was actually watching the news last night and cried watching the video that some oceanographers had taken of the ocean below and around the spill. There was no life, no fish, no birds, it was horrible. This may never be fixed. It makes me very sad for Emily and Milo.