Friday, May 7, 2010

Balboa Island

Thanks to a friend's advice, we decided to visit Balboa Island on our way from Orange County to San Diego. It was the perfect day trip! We got on the ferry, traveled the whopping 500 or so feet and we were on to our next adventure.

In the minute and a half we were on the water, we jumped out and had some fellow passengers take our picture. Can you tell I was trying to keep Milo from looking away?

Despite my better judgement I agreed to get on the Ferris wheel. I am not a fan of rides. Even small carnival rides. My mom likes to tell the story that when I was about Milo's age they put me on some kiddie ride - you know the kind... they inch around on some horse or teacup going about 2 miles an hour. Anyway, she says that I sat there and glared at her the whole time while maintaining a death-grip on the handle bar. Pretty much still sums up my feelings on the subject. I still get a little antsy even walking by the midway at the State Fair.

At this point I am wondering how long the ride could possibly last (and I think this was our first spin around).

OK, smile for the picture. Don't throw up...

Oooh, isn't that nice? Are those mice running around in my stomach? Just don't think about it!

Focus on what is in front of you... Don't freak out. Are we slowing down? Oh good. Yes, let's get off. Hmmm? Sure, that was fun.

After the longest Ferris wheel ride ever, we (I) got to happily move on. Balboa was the coolest, quirkiest place. We spent the afternoon walking around, eating some fish tacos at a hole in the wall recommended by the locals and just taking in the sites.

Mark and Milo played some Guitar Hero...

And Milo enjoyed his favorite type of transportation around the island. Why walk when you can ride (as long as it is not a ride on the Ferris wheel!).

After a few hours we continued on our way to San Diego. As we went through Laguna Beach again we drove up into the hills so we could scope out some of those gorgeous houses. From there we began the last leg of our drive... on our way to Paradise Point, sandy beach and lots of rest and relaxation.

No comments: