Monday, August 27, 2007

Smile!

I got my very first smile from Milo yesterday. He has actually smiled from the time he was born... he just never smiles at us. He will smile when he is drowsy (and will even giggle then too) but he usually has his eyes closed. He will also smile while looking off into space. He seems to have some invisible friends that float around and tell him good jokes every once in a while. Again, lots of smiles but none for Mommy or Daddy. However, yesterday morning Mark had gotten up with the baby and when I roused myself a little later I went over to say "good morning" to my sweetie.

When I walked up he pushed his legs down and almost turned himself on his side (another first) and was apparently so pleased with himself that he looked right at me and smiled this huge, happy smile. What a nice thing to wake up to!

I feel sure that I have mentioned Milo's lack of a sleeping schedule at some point in one of my posts. That is not to say he doesn't sleep well at night because fortunately, he usually does. He just has no inclination to sleep on a schedule during the day. I really don't think this is a huge problem at this point because he is still just 2 1/2 months old, he does not seem sleep deprived in the least AND since he is sleeping through the night it does not cause too much of a problem for us. I just keep thinking that he will settle into some sort of schedule that we can then kind of pick up on and encourage. Not my baby!

It occurred to me the other day that I actually had this same issue with him when he was still in my belly. They (doctors, magazines, baby books, etc.) say that babies are supposed to have a consistent schedule when the are in utero. They are supposed to sleep and have active periods at fairly standard times of the day. Milo NEVER had any sort of a set schedule. In fact, I actually called the doctor a few times because I was sure there was something wrong. Just like now, some days he would sleep all day and other days he would be doing calisthenics throughout the day. I wonder if this is going to be a character trait or if he will grow out of it. Though it would certainly be easier to be able to plan around his daytime naps for weekend activities, his skill at sleeping through almost anything still saves us.

No comments: