Sunday, August 10, 2008

Random Observations of Late

  • This morning I became aware of one of the true gifts of being a mother and knowing your child so intimately... There is something amazing about watching the minute, daily changes in your baby's growth. Sometimes with Milo I can watch his face and know what he is thinking, see a new expression, watch him become a little boy. In those moments, I am in awe of him and am so grateful for his presence in my life.
  • I tried to watch This Week with George Stephanopoulis today thinking that he might have a less biased political commentary than some others and technically he did. However, I watched one interview with a Democrat and then another with a Republican and remembered quickly why I do not like listening to politicians speak. Neither one of them answered a single question posed by the interviewer. They just talked around the issues and tried to "talk-up" the presidential candidates that they each support. I can't help but think that we would all be better off if politicians would just speak clearly and really answer the questions that we need them to answer.
  • You just never know what kind of teenagers you are going to encounter at our neighborhood park. A few weeks ago Milo and I walked down to find two teenage boys on the swings. They were what you would probably think of as "nerds." They demonstrated this by having a loud and lengthy conversation about semicolons. Then last night we went down and two teenage girls were on the same swings. I think it is entirely possible that one of these girls said "like" a couple of hundred times in the 10 minutes that they sat there. It was obnoxious. I also said "like" as a teenage girl (hopefully not as much but I can't attest to that as a fact) and I still struggle with ridding my speech of it. It is such a horrible, pervasive crutch.

No comments: