Yes, I realize that I have had the "So Much To Do" title on one of my posts before; however, it is still applicable... especially with the "So Little Time" tacked on to the end. We have (hopefully) 2 more months before the baby comes and there are still several things that we need to do to get ready. Mostly we have organization projects that desperately need to be done (fun, right?) but we are also trying to select some of our photos to have printed so that we can actually get some pictures on the wall. We are also trying to choose drapes for a couple of rooms which is turning into a bit of a challenge.
The biggest challenge to all of this is that Mark has fairly unlimited energy and he is ready to work on our projects any / all the time. I, on the other hand, just want to rest. I am sure he will roll his eyes when he reads this but it is true. I just want to rest. I want to sit on the couch and read or watch TV or whatever and not have to think about doing anything else. By the time I get home after work it just feels like my "rest" time is already gone. So that leaves the weekend, but as you all know, the weekend is perfect project time. Fortunately he is not too pushy because that would certainly activate my grouchy switch. I am trying to be motivated... I really am. I like it when things are done. I just don't want to expend the energy to do them. I think the reason for this (other than the fact that I am almost 7 months pregnant) is because I really want to take advantage of the last few months of "me" time before the baby comes. I keep hoping that nesting instinct that they talk about will kick in and I will switch into busy mode. (I am sure that my poor husband hopes so too!)
Hmmm... let's see. I did have a few other things that I wanted to write about... Oh, yes. Finding work maternity clothes to wear to work every day is becoming much less fun. Don't get me wrong - I am still really enjoying being pregnant and dressing accordingly, but picking out work clothes every day is becoming tedious. I am getting big enough now that some of the work clothes in my closet no longer fit and they are certainly not very comfortable. If I could wear sweats to work every day I would be fine. I don't suppose that would be very professional, huh? I also see why they warn you in some of the pregnancy books not to cut your hair when you are pregnant. Because you REALLY want to. I don't think I have worn my hair down (to work anyway) for the last two months. Seriously, when you have a limited time in the morning (and you only slept in two hour increments the night before) the last thing you want to do is fix your hair.
OK, on another completely unrelated - and random - topic, I would like to say something about the Virginia Tech shootings. The shootings are horrible and I am sad for the families that lost children and other family members; however, as I was listening to the radio on the way in this morning I heard a few stations imply that the university officials are to blame for the extent of the deaths because of their inaction. I really think this is unfair. The only person to blame for the extent of the deaths is the guy that went in there with a gun and locked the doors from the inside so people could not get out. As the university officials have said, they had to work with the information they had at the time. Considering the fact that they thought the first two shootings were related to a domestic issue, I can see why they did not immediately close down the entire campus. I probably would not have either given the situation. Hindsight is 20/20 but, considering the reports so far, I believe that the university officials and police that were involved did the best they could in a completely irrational situation. I truly don't think that most people (the media obviously included) realize how difficult it is for rational people to think irrationally which is exactly how the shooter was thinking.
I think our culture is so quick to place blame for situations like this. It makes us feel better if we have specific people to blame when horrible things happen. The truth is, there is no way to forsee all of the awful things that can happen in the world. And I mean really, do we want to live in a place like that where we are always so intent on the negative and on the possibility of the horrible that we can't appreciate the beauty and joy that is going on around us too?
I really don't know why this affected me so strongly this morning. Part of it may be that I am in a position to make the types of decisions that the university officials had to make (on a much smaller scale thank goodness) and what I do know is that you always do your best in an emergency situation. Those men and women are going to doubt the decisions they made yesterday for the rest of their lives and it just seems cruel and unfair for the rest of the country to add to the burden of that self-doubt.
No comments:
Post a Comment