Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Playing Politics

I always hesitate to write about negative things...  especially negative political things.  I mean why focus on it more than necessary, you know?  I feel inclined to write about something that happened in DC though.  One of our Congressmen graced our group with a private tour of the Capital building one night.  It was lovely and the Rotunda...  well, the Rotunda is clearly famous for a reason.  Amazing. 

At the end of the tour, the Congressman (who shall remain nameless) took us to his office to talk.  There were a few other people with us and, in the course of the conversation, one of them asked what he thought about Obama. 

In his response, I heard everything that I believe is wrong with our political system today.  It went something like this...

"Well, he smokes...  no offense to any of you if you do of course.  And he couldn't get on to any college basketball team I know of!  People say he is such a good speaker but you know, he has no idea what he is talking about.  His speech-writers just put the words up on the teleprompter and he reads them.  That's it." 

That's it.  That's it!?!  I was actually kind of dumbfounded.  I would have had so much more respect for him if had just said that he disagreed completely with Obama's policies or that thought Obama was a total jerk or pretty much anything other than "he smokes and he couldn't get on to a basketball team."  And come one!  If there is one thing that is a given, it is that Obama has a crazy good vocabulary.

Clearly the Congressman felt that he was in company who agreed with him fully but that actually kind of worries me more.  Aren't there bigger things to be talking about, even amongst like-minded groups?  If this is where the "conversation" is heading, how are we ever going to talk about the really important things affecting our world? 

No comments: