Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Great Divide

Though I write about politics a bit here, I make it a general policy not to discuss politics in person. I find that talking about such a heated topic is seldom worth the energy and simply leads to frustration on one or both sides. There is definitely a reason that people tell you not to talk about politics or religion in polite company.

I was having lunch with a dear friend of mine who just so happens to be a far-right leaning conservative Republican. With everything going on in politics last week I innocently (really!) asked what her thoughts were on everything in the news. As I listened, I realized fully why people on opposite sides of the political spectrum have such difficulty having conversations. They are truly coming at the issues from completely different perspectives - so much so that it is hard to hear past the first few words.

My overarching belief is that everyone has the right to their opinion and that no one way is the right way. I listened to my friend and then we changed the subject. There were no raised voices. No hurt feelings. No belittling. She remains my dear friend. Still, I am left with this lingering feeling that my hope for a conversation between the two political sides was naive. There is an ever growing chasm between the political factions and I wonder what must happen in order for us to bridge that divide as a country. How can we reflect our unity while maintaining our individuality? At some point we are all going to have to meander back toward the middle ground.
For what it is worth, I think Nietzsche's quote is perfectly applicable and both sides would do well to remember it.

You have your way.
I have my way.
As for the right way,
the correct way,
and the only way,
it does not exist.

~Friedrich Nietzsche

No comments: