Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Procrastination (and a Rant)

OK, I think I have mentioned previously that I am really good at finding other things to do when it comes to studying... that may be why it feels terribly pressing for me to update my blog right now. I am officially two days into my "test" week - the two days that are study and review days in fact. At the moment I am so sick of studying and reviewing that the mere thought of cracking the books open makes me more than willing to watch endless political commentary on the television (you know, because the Hillary / Obama Pennsylvania primary is finally today).

Despite the occasional avoidance of studying thing, I am actually a fairly obsessive student - always have been. I take education very seriously. I love it. It fits me. I mean, seriously, I was in college for something like 12 years and loved every minute of it. So, I have been preparing for this test now for several months - not including the actual classes that I took last year to get to this point. The thought of coming to something as important as this without preparing is not an idea that I can comprehend. However, the girl who sits next to me in class apparently does not feel the same. From the first moment of class when she told me that she had not prepared at all and she looked over at my study materials, meticulously organized, she decided that I must be there to get her through the week. She has officially asked me 3,459 questions over the last two days. (OK, maybe not... but it feels that way.)

This bothers me on multiple levels. Professionally, I can't help but feel that someone like this who does not even know basic concepts does not deserve the designation that we are testing for because what value does the designation have if just anyone can get it? As a "professional student," it offends me that she did not prepare at all and she expects other people to cover for her. And finally, personally, it is just REALLY annoying. Before the instructor is even finished talking about a concept this girl is turning to me to try to get clarification. She is driving me insane!

I have gone through various phases of dealing with this over the last two days. I have tried to be helpful. I have tried to view her as one of those people that is just in the world to test my patience. I have tried to look at the whole thing as practice and review for myself to explain everything (repeatedly) on such a basic level. And, finally, I have tried ignoring her because she just would not stop. (The ignoring actually occurred yesterday and it did make her start going to other people for awhile.) Today I mostly just felt sorry for her because the test is going to start tomorrow and she has some serious lapses in understanding.

What I am thankful for is that the test starts tomorrow and we all have to work individually and in silence. This makes me very happy. Up until January of this year the test was a group project. Thank goodness that is no longer the case!

Wow! I feel better. That had really been bothering me. Could you tell? Anyway, I will be testing for the next 3 days so keep me in your thoughts. Oh, you might want to send some prayers out to that girl too. She is going to need them.

No comments: