I have talked before about how strongly things affect me... In recent years, seeing or hearing certain types of shows just weighs me down. I have gotten to the point where I don't watch a lot of TV because of how it makes me feel and if you really want to stress me out, just force me to listen to some political bantering. In this election season it is hard to avoid and as a result, I have been fairly stressed. I am so disappointed in the leaders of our country. The way most of them act is no better than a bunch of junior high kids. Between that and all the negative stuff you hear all day, every day it is easy to become disillusioned.
And then, and then...
I went to a conference last week and had the great fortune to hear Peter Diamandis speak about Abundance (his new book) and also the XPrize he developed which most notably resulted in a space craft which will take 3 people into space and will likely lead to future space travel for people other than astronauts. All of this from his idea and his belief that people would respond. This video from TED highlights his points on abundance in our world.
He was amazing and his message was one that I needed badly. He reminded me that you are what you think about and we do not have to focus on the negative things in the world. That doesn't mean those things go away but it allows us to... What? Be happier. Appreciate the joy in our lives. Do good because we focus on the good.
Whatever the case may be, a few mornings after I saw Peter speak I woke up and Gandhi's quote came into my mind. "Be the change you want to see in the world." I have thought about his words for years but it seemed like such a tall order. I was never sure what the change was that I wanted to see - and then all of a sudden I knew. It is so simple. Change doesn't have to be some huge thing. Right now, the change I want to see is a focus on the good in life. A focus on positive things going on in the world because I know they are there. So, I am on the search. It is amazing what comes to you when you open your eyes to look...
1 comment:
Friend, your positive outlook and encouragement always lifts me up. Loved this entry!
Post a Comment