I read an interesting idea today and I think that it is true. Rebecca at Girl's Gone Child, the one blog that I still read religiously (though it might only be once every two weeks), posted that her mom believes everyone is born with a certain age in their heart and that never changes. She says that her son, who is an old soul, is and has always been 102, her mother was born being 18 and continues to feel that very age. Rebecca was born 13 and still rebels at the idea of adulthood on occasion despite the fact that she is married and has 4 children.
My friend Mary and I have always talked about how your soul doesn't age - how when you look in the mirror and see your face, it is a shock if your reflection does not line up with that inner idea / image of yourself. Doesn't it make perfect sense that different people have different soul ages? It would explain so much!!
So... then the question becomes, what is your soul age?
I think my soul age is about 35. Evidence to this fact? I was never much of a kid's kid. It has always been hard for me to be truly silly and I always seemed "older" than the rest of the kids. Also, I kind of like my few smile / laugh wrinkles that have popped up in the last few years. That said, I would be perfectly content if they would stop appearing now (like that is going to happen, right??). I am responsible to the maximum but there is a little part of me that yearns for that feeling of freedom and abandon that you are supposed to have in your twenties (of course, the only time I can capture it is when all my responsibilities have been completed!) You can't discount my devotion to NPR - which everyone knows is an "adult" pastime. Mostly, I guess 35 just feels right, so 35 it is!
Edited: Mark says he is 21. It definitely fits!
No comments:
Post a Comment