Sunday, January 15, 2012

Mouth-Watering Memories

One of my most distinct memories of spending time with Grandma Pat as a little girl was making yeast bread together. Well... together is probably a relative term. I am not sure I did much besides stand there and watch her mix ingredients and knead the dough. My most crucial role was to EAT when the time was right.

Because of those wonderful memories and obviously, because they are just yummy I have always loved yeast rolls and for some reason I got the itch to make them over Christmas. It is fairly well know that I am a horrible cook. Just this week I screwed up a box pizza and sadly, it wasn't the first time. I mean, really? Who messes up boxed pizzas??

Anyway, I had the craving and with a week off I figured there was no harm in trying. Happily, Grandma sent me a recipe last year so I whipped it out and jumped right in.

Now, I will tell you that some of these pictures are from my third batch (that is right! THIRD batch) that I am working on today. Each time I have gotten better and I most definitely have gotten cleaner. This next picture is a good example. My first Christmas attempt was not nearly so organized.

OK, back to Christmas pics... see the sausage rolls in the top corner. I was multi-tasking. They are the other thing I am capable of cooking. 3 ingredients, mix, roll into balls and cook. Right up my alley. The bread on the other hand requires scalded milk. Anyone know what scalded milk is? Needless to say, I did not. Thank goodness for the Internet!

I was pretty impressed with myself at this point. I figured if I got the thing to rise like this I was halfway home. Plus it is just super fun to punch it down. Speaking of, I need to take a break to check on my dough that should be just about ready...

And I am back! I always double the recipe and I try to diversify the shape so we have lots of fun, edible options.

We call these hot cross buns.

Mmmmm... I put honey on these when they came out of the oven. It is supposed to make them stay fresh longer. Like they are going to be around that long!

Pretty sure I tried an egg wash on these. Shiny. Yum.

While I was at it I thought I would make some sticky buns. This is before the sticky part but oh my goodness, they were heavenly.

Strangely, despite my dislike for most things "kitchen" I have really enjoyed baking these last few weeks. It probably helps that Milo can't get enough of the bread (seriously, one day he ate 5 rolls and I had to stop him before eating more!) Mark and I are enjoying the end product too. Oh... speaking of, I hear a timer going off right now. Grandma, I will think of you when I am enjoying the first one!

No comments: